Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Seeing (Ruby Port) Red

Photobucket

Oh how quickly I went from staying on the wagon to mildly tripping with a skein of beautiful soft malabrig, then falling off and waving to the wagon in utter defeat. A few days after the malabrigo incident, I fell for this indie dyer currently living in Sweden (simple scarves by mabel) and snatched up four skeins of beautiful bamboo/merino blend sock yarn. I still haven't figured out why I'm so drawn to bamboo blends, I could be part panda, but I'm weak-kneed at the mere mention of it. A choice between silk or bamboo? Bamboo. Cashmere and bamboo? Give me the green stalks of plants every time. I really must have been a panda in my previous life.

Everything went so well until I finally started to clear out my inbox and was directed toward a Sundara Update- then I was done for. The ruby port. I did my best to ignore it. Did I really need another skein or two of yarn that was going to be a shawl? Didn't I own enough yarns to make me a dozen shawls? How many people did I really love enough to actually make them for? Forget taking the time to knit, how many do I know that I can really knit something beautiful and them not throw it on the floor, lose it in a restaurant or clean up dog vomit?

And then after awhile, it didn't matter. I just had to have it. Then I found the perfect pattern for it. And the voice in the back of my head just kept goading me on. Buy it. Get the red. So I did. Happy Birthday to me. I bought two lovely skeins of FSM and since I won't receive it until 2009, I've got a few more weeks to reduce my stash and wait for the arrival of this cranberry beauty. Yarn makes me happy. I wish I knew it before, but at least I know it now.

On a side note, my friend got me a stunning edible arrangement. The fruits were cold and ripe. Beautiful also. Much more practical than flowers that die prematurely.

No comments: