Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Magic Number 257

Yes. We all know it. Obama won. But that's not the subject of this post. I don't interfere with politics and I voted, but I've had bigger fish to fry.

I agreed to host my friend's baby shower in a city 4 hours from me. So throw in all the logistics of a baby shower, figure in about 50 guests, including kids, held in hotel at a place that I could only navigate through GPS. Once I got to Boston, I started a list of things that went on forever and required me to go to every store in a 10 mile radius of her home. Or so it felt.

But the magnum opus of the weekend involved creating a diaper cake that was the size of Montana. In my head it was going to be a simple 2 tier affair, maybe two of them, decorated simply, so that people could write notes to the Mother to be and slip in small pacifiers, bottles, washcloths, onesies. Instead it turned into a 5 tier wedding cake affair.

The problem can probably be traced back to the fact that BJ's sells diapers in packages of 276. So the first night I dutifully spent a few hours watching late night tv and rolling these diapers in perfect little cylinders and tying them with rubber bands. And the second night I started to assemble the tied diapers and worked with all the ribbon and streamers I had. 2 hours later? A stunning display that involved 257 diapers and yards of ribbon and streamers in baby pastels and boy colored blues. However I totally forgot my original goal. At least it makes for a pretty photo.

That this project ballooned in size? No surprise there. In fact, for a shower of 50, I think the cake ended up getting was targeted for a smaller people size but it ended up looking like it could feed 100. We had a lot of leftovers for a lot of people. The only sad realization I had post party was that I ended up spending more time with everyone else that was invited than the actual mother-to-be. At least everyone liked the hand knitted door prizes. Best game of the party? Baby Bingo. It's not a game for only the church-going crowds and little grannies in Vegas.

No comments: