Saturday, November 8, 2008

1 Year Anniversary.

As I've finally settled down, planted my feet back home and temporarily stopped making travel plans, I decided to share my 1st year anniversary to you. In late October 2007 while everyone was making Halloween plans, I decided to learn to knit with my friend. We spent a lunch hour (or two, but who's counting?) getting starter needles (KA Bamboo Needles Sz 8) and yarn (Plymouth Encore) and sitting down at a now defunct cafe (blame the Wall Street crash for that) to learn to knit. The only great tragedy about that cafe is that the Pomegranate Lemonade there was to die for. The needles are long gone, having been given away in a teaching lesson to a friend. The scarf frogged for charity socks. I'm not sentimental.

Knitting is an obsession. A year later and there's nothing I really won't try, complicated charts don't phase me- instructions written in another language? Bring them on! But I'm getting ahead of myself. I started out knitting a simple scarf. It languished for about 2-3 months and I realized that I did more frogging than knitting, buying a skein or two every few weeks without ever really thinking about how long this phase would last. Three months later I started to learn lace knitting, different stitches, knitted different items with various yarns and was on a constant search for more patterns.

A little knitting lingo.
Frog = Ripping knitted work back into its original unknitted ball of yarn state. Called Frogging bc you're ripping back your work. Rip it, rip it (ribbit ribbit)
Tink= Backwards of Knit. Exactly what it is. Undoing knitted stitches a stitch at a time.

No comments: