Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Because Fate's got your back

From what I can tell, Fairfield, CA has really only 1 great thing going for it. It is the home of the Jelly Belly Jellybean Factory. I don't even really like jellybeans and on top of that I like about 3 flavors. Yet there I was again, for the second time in my life, taking a factory tour, wearing a silly hat, and going through the place. It is like the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory, but for Jelly beans. It's worth a visit if you're in the area and it's barely an hour drive from San Francisco. While I was trying to get some jelly beans for a friend in a certain flavor, I noticed that children were flocking to the fluffy, life-sized Mr. Green Jellybean.

Now I apologize in advance for not having a photo of Mr Green, but I was trying to operate those candy dispensers by myself without being the person that accidentally spills all the jellybeans on the floor and therefore couldn't get to my camera. However, fate decided to ensure the memory of meeting this plush doll as he made his way to me, unbeknownst to me. Just as I got the candy dispenser to start spilling candy into an long plastic bag, I felt a thickly, padded hand tap my shoulder. I turn around slowly and there was Mr. Green Jellybean, waving at me. I looked around for the children to save me and as there were none, I awkwardly waved back and we each went our merry way. How many people can say that they've been hit on by an overstuffed Jellybean in their lives? I didn't think so.

Wine tasting is one of those moments that's really difficult to truly describe as everyone has different takes on the wines and the experience in general. However, there was one defining moment where my faith in fate was renewed once again. As we were experiencing barrel tasting at Del Dotto Vineyards, the question of who would drive to the next vineyard arose leading to the tour guide asking if we were going to rock-paper-scissor it. The verdict led to more drinking and the discovery that I still do not enjoy port. And that some nerds (I will not disclose where) play atomic bomb, cockroach, foot instead of the conventional rock-paper-scissors.

The cockroach survives the atomic bomb which defeats the foot which defeats the roach. Clever? Maybe. Nerdy? Most definitely.

Afterwards, as we approached the car, we realized that a huge truck got stuck in the driveway, cutting us off from our car. As the various workers and truck driver tried to map out a way to leave the driveway, we ended up waiting ourselves into sobriety. By the time the truck was out of the way, we were on our way to explore more vineyards in Napa. Sometimes when you least expect it, Fate has a way of looking out for you.

No comments: