Sunday, July 12, 2009

Landing in St. Thomas

Having never ventured to the Virgin Islands, I didn't really expect anything except that I was told it was humid and there were sunshowers to be expected. A few things I learned as I left the airport to go to the hotel.

The weather? Oppressively hot. At around 90 degrees with about 85-90% humidity, there's no way around it. The wind is warm and sporadic and you're always sweating as you try to acclimate to the heat. The water? Also 85 degrees year round. It's like taking a tepid bath or going to a neighborhood pool with the distinct feeling that all the kids peed into it at once. However, the water is as clear and beautiful as all the photos make it seem. It doesn't get any bluer and turquoise than this, I suspect.

The people? Amazingly nice. Everyone is accommodating, friendly, making sure your experience is pleasant whether it's your taxi driver, the hotel receptionist or a local who realizes that you've lost your way even if you hadn't realized it yet.

The sandy beaches are impressively clean, the sand is very fine and soft with the water as clear and blue as all the pictures depict it to be. But in all this perfection and beauty, there was no surprise that I'd have to make sure my toe wouldn't be bit by an iguana or three.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

wow those reptile things were really close!